Dense vegetation, rich history and interesting geology, make Methana an ideal destination for those who love exploring and adventure. The volcanic landscape is ideal for hiking in nature or rejuvenation in the thermal baths. Methana is an unexpected wellness destination, among the 2023 New York Times’ list of places to explore.
Highlight of the peninsula, is the active Methana volcano – one of five, active volcanoes in Greece – with the most recent activity recorded in the 3rd century BC.
Known as ‘Thermal Bath Town’ due to the hot springs in the area, Methana is a direct gateway from the Saronic Islands to the Peloponnese peninsula.
Travel without a vehicle, and enjoy two days of wellbeing and relaxation, taking you back in time. Stay a few extra days, get a car or motorbike and explore the surrounding area, nature, villages and incredible beaches. The increasingly popular hiking destination is sure to reward you!
Sites of Interest in Methana
Methana is one of the favourite and still ‘hidden’ gems of the Saronic Gulf, as it promises laid back, tranquil summer holidays for friends and families. It may be an actual peninsula, but it still gives off the feeling of being on an island.
Some of the places from the ‘Thermal Bath Town’ of Methana, worth exploring and visiting include:
- The volcano of Methana: Kameni Chora, The Rift, The hot lava that goes out to the Saronic Gulf
- The Hot Springs of Methana: The thermal spa town, the old building of the sulphur baths, the historic baths of Pausania, the sulphur springs in the sea, the baths of Agios Nikolaos
- The Trails of Methana: Crossroads, Lower Mouska from Upper Mouska, Gouri Path, Kounoupitsa Path, Narrow Mule Path
- The ancient Acropolis, Limanaki Vathi, Paleokastro, Almyra Beach, the Pigeon Cave
- The concrete boat in Agios Georgios
- The pine-covered island of Agioi Anargyroi
- The castle of Favieros and the wall of the Peloponnesian war
- The Churches of Mathana: the small chapels and churches of the Byzantine and modern era, that are scattered the inner part of the Methana peninsula
- The Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, just an hour drive away from Methana
Beaches at Methana
Calm sandy beaches, as well as volcanic black pebbles. An island vibe. In Methana, you can truly enjoy swimming due to the transparent waters and lack of crowds, even during the busiest high season month of August.
- Limnionas: This is the most famous organised beach of Methana – it is sandy with fine pebbles, turquoise waters, umbrellas, sunbeds and seating on the shore surrounded by lush green vegetations reaching the beach. You can also find a beach bar, where you enjoy a cold beverage.
- Agioi Anargyroi: located right next to the island of Agioi Anargyroi, inside the coastline of the Termal Bath Town of Methana. The beach Is beautiful, large and sandy with fine pebbles and crystal-clear waters. It is equipped with facilities including beach umbrellas, sunbeds and seating as well as watersports.
- Agios Nikolaos Beach: located next to the harbour of Agios Nikolas, infront of the synonymous sulphur springs and the chapel of Agios Nikolaos. This is a small, pretty and picturesque beach with brown-red sand and fine pebbles, with tamarisk trees around the edges.
- Foflakas: just south of the village of Agioi Theodoroi and oppostite to Aegina, you will find dark and red-black big pebbles as well as deep blue clear waters. The beach is tranquil, with no facilities. Its rocky coastline is ideal for underwater fishing.
- The sandy beach of Agios Georgios is situated in the picturesque harbour and boasts shallow waters, making it a perfect choice for families with little children. Its clear waters are so shallow that you can walk until the concrete German boat, right opposite. On the beach, you can find two picture-perfect tavernas where you can dine or have a drink.
8 Experiences worth trying in Methana
- Discover the Peninsula trails: 120km of ancient paths cross the volcanic rocky landscape, abandoned villages and Aleppo pine forests, while exploring and getting to know the rich flaura and fauna of the area
- Feel the authentic hospitality amongst the dozen traditional taverna-cafes in the villages and the Thermal bath town ‘Loutropolis’, eating fresh fish, grilled octopus and seafood meze
- Enjoy a relaxed drink and homemade desserts from fresh local products at various cafes in the area
- Enjoy a swim in truly pristine beaches and crystal-clear waters
- Enjoy a performance at the Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, just an hour’s drive away
- Relax and rejuvenate in a hot tub
- Visit the Throni plateau, situated above Megalochori to see the biggest - out of the 30 - land craters of the Methana volcano
- Experience a peaceful walk by the small peninsular of Agioi Anargyroi, which gives you an island feel. It’s located right next to the harbour and you can walk in its parameter through a pebble-path, and rest at one of the benches overlooking the Saronic Gulf.
Getting to Methana
The port of Methana is connected by ferry route to Piraeus all-year around, with frequent routes which in addition to passengers, can load cars, motorbikes and bicycles.
The route Piraeus- Methana has an intermediate stop at Aegina, and takes about two hours.
All ferries to Methana depart from depart from Gate E8 from the port of Piraeus.
To get to Gate E8, you can drive, take a taxi or get there by metro or train (electric railway) getting off at ‘Pireas’ station stop and a short 5 minute walk.
It is advisable to arrive at the port at least 20-40 minutes ahead of your departure time, as the ferries depart on time.
Ferry Tickets to Methana
Buying ferry tickets for Methana is easy.
You can purchase your tickets, either from the central ticket office from the departure port or online.
The online booking of ferry tickets from Piraeus to Methana is easy and fast through few simple steps:
1) Find the ferry route timetable of Sarronic Ferries
2) Choose the time and date of your preference
3) Fill in your details
4) Receive your e-ticket in your inbox
Don’t forget to benefit from a discount – if you qualify. Saronic Ferries offers discounts to children, students and disabled passengers. Bicycle transport is free.
Useful contact numbers for your holiday in Methana
• Methana Port Authority: +302298092279
• Methana Police Station: +302298092370
• Trizina Fire department: +302298035599 – +302298035199
• Medical Center: +302298092222
• Gas station: +302298092260
Ferry Routes to Methana
Ferry departures to Methana, don’t operate with the same frequency throughout the year.
During winter, the routes are operated every weekend, whilst in the summer the Saronic Ferries’ boats depart from Piraeus to Methana, almost daily.
The route Piraeus – Methana with an intermediate stop in Aegina, takes approximately two hours.
Before you travel, check in detail all the ferry route options by Saronic Ferries from Piraeus to Methana, as well as from Methana to Piraeus. Choose the day and time of your convenience, and easily book your ticket online.
Methana peninsula is connected with direct ferry route to Aigina and Poros.
The distance Methana – Aigina is approximately 45minutes, while the distance between Methana- Poros is 35 minutes.
Methana has one port.
Methana, the closest active volcano to Athens, is located on the Methana Peninsula, approximately 50km from the Greek capital.
Methana Peninsula has a lot of swimming options. A list of the best beaches includes:
- Agioi Anargyroi
- Agios Nikolaos
- Agios Georgios
- Agioi Theodoroi
Methana is famous for its unique and unexplored nature due to the volcanic landscape, the thermal springs, the beautiful tails, the crystal-clear waters as well as the archaeological findings.
Due to its close proximity to Athens, the natural beauty and mild climate, Methana makes an ideal destination for an easy, budget-friendly and quick getaway most months of the year.
Although a seaside destination, Methana is not strictly for summer holidays as it has a lot of sightseeing to be explored on foot, or by car in its volcanic terrain which proves surprisingly impressive during autumn, winter and spring.
A weekend could be enough for a quick getaway to Methana. However, the destination is ideal for budget friendly, multi-day holidays near the sea with many short daily excursions to Peloponnese.
Methana has both hotels and rental rooms near the port.
Apart from the absolute tranquillity, rejuvenation and multiple opportunities for great swimming or beautiful hikes, some activities – places worth visiting in Methana include:
- The island if Agioi Anargyroi
- The Peristera Cave
- The Favieros Castle
- The Volcano
- The multiple Monasteries and Churches of the area
Methana is famous for its oregano, olive oil, honey, olives and fish.
Of course, you can find a range of traditional products worth trying, such as rusks.
At the dozen traditional village taverns-cafes as well as at the Thermal Spring town ‘Loutropolis’, you can enjoy fresh fish, seafood meze and traditional dishes.
Methana is a very budget friendly seafront holiday destination, close to Athens.
The Methana peninsula climate is temperate, mild in winter and cool in the summer. The temperature does not have strong monthly deviations or differences between the coastal zone and the mountainous and semi -mountains inner land.
Ferry tickets to Methana tend to sell fast, especially during the summer months and over public holidays as Methana is considered a budget friendly family destination ideal for fast and easy trips. If you wish to travel by car, it’s advisable to purchase your tickets in advance.